Sunday, February 17, 2013

Because I am not a Schlarb


Well Lent has begun, and my sister recently asked me (on behalf of Bright Maidens) to write a blog about what I am giving up for Lent. In my mind, Lent is not always about what you want to give up. Everyone is different, and sometimes it’s about what you can offer up, monetarily or otherwise (check out my friend B is up to in LA!)

There was a petition offered up on Ash Wednesday about forgiving the failings of those who have wronged you, and it made me think that they just might be onto something. Immediately after mass, I hopped into my car and drove to a friend’s house. On the radio Kanye was singing about what that don’t kill you, can only make you stronger. And I thought nice. Good timing, radio, I needed that. Then P!nk came on asking me if I was only getting by? And then suggested I get up and try… The radio is talking to me. Maybe. This thought was solidified as immediately after that Kelly Clarkson also assured me that though I may be broken down, and while they might think I’ll just come running back, well they don’t know me, ‘cause I’m stronger. And that was kind of it: my inspiration for this blog.

They say forgiveness is a tool used not for the benefit of those who have wronged you, but by the forgiver as part of the healing process. Bitterness and anger tear at a person’s soul until there is nothing left; hatred eats away at all that was once good in you. This is not how life is meant to be. 

And so, the million dollar question: what to give up? Because if you give up nothing, you are obviously a schlarb.
Giving up candy and sweets was all well and good in grade school, but does giving those up make you or I the person God intended?
No, not really.
Therefore, for this Lenten season, I have decided to embark on forgiving, and being brought closer to achieving my full potential. Man, Katie, I don't know. I don't think I can do it. Believe me, I know. I encourage you to think of it this way. Your refusal to let go is not holding them back, but you. And that’s how your enemies want to see you: unsuccessful and unhappy. So go the best you can be… And be happy. Because it’ll really make them mad.
Schadenfreude. It’s real.
 My second Lenten goal is to work on what we like to call in our house “deescalating.” Essentially, working on not taking things personally, as they are usually comments made observationally, and attempting not to respond in a crazy fashion. As someone suffering from PTSD, I find that this Lenten goal will most likely be the more difficult of the two. I will attempt to combat this in four ways:
1.     Take 5 yoga breaths before responding.
2.     Use humor
And somehow, this makes the fact she's not house trained so much more enjoyable. 

3.     Reconnect with activities that you used to find enjoyable: I’m thinking of firing pottery and going to the dog park more.
4.     And lastly, just sit by yourself and find that happy bubble.


There you have it. My Lenten goals. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment