Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Days that make me "Meow"

Now I know what you're thinking, man I knew this girl seemed a little off, but what does that even mean?!
I shall tell you.
Let me start by saying I am not a crazy cat lady. I prefer dogs to cats- I have 2 cats and they are the worst cats ever. Most people do not even know I own cats. It's because they hate me. I call them the "skittens" because they have been skittish since they were kittens. They hide from me, hiss at me, and maul me. But sometimes they allow me to pet them. ANYway.

Picture shout out to the boy who inspired this blog and listened to every last one of my ridiculous stories for a year.
So it came to my attention about 2 years ago, via my good friend, that when something unfortunate would happen, I would "meow."
A sad, dejected, pitiful kind of sound to be perfectly honest.
Examples of things that would make me "meow" the past two years:
1) Translating Latin. Whether I was prepared or free-ballin' (also known by more serious students as "sight reading"), I was always terrible. What is that the ablative of? The ablative of forging a river? Of course.
2) Explaining why any German author thought anything. [My reasons: depressed, on drugs, drunk (most likely), insane, or all the above.]
3) Filmed weekends. Please no. Aaannndd delete.
4) Me in any normal social situation automatically shifts to "worse case scenario." Or I just have no idea what is really happening and never ask for explanations, which aggravates the people I am telling the story to:
"Ooh, did you ask why such and such and gobbley gook?" 
Umm no. Didn't think to. 
"KATIE!" " 
Should I have? 
*Squid of Anger*
Ok. My b. Next time.

Recently, I've noticed that real life is too tiring to sweat the small stuff like I did in college. My days usually involve getting up at an ungodly hour to let my puppy out, go to work, go to the gym, go to bed, and repeat. Add buying Groupons and going out for wine and sushi in between and we've pretty much got all the bases covered.
So this past year, there haven't been a lot of "meow" worthy moments (maybe some "pick up the contents of the world and throw them against the wall"- but those are obviously not the same), so here are a few that snuck up on me unexpectedly:
1) The IRS. Come on, Katie, we know tax season is approaching but you can't hold it against them. Ah, but I shall or at least against the local branch. I needed a form two days before it was due so I drive to their office to get one: 
"Hello, do you have any 1099-INT forms?"
"Can I see your ID?"
"Um, no I didn't bring it with- Hold on."  
*runs down two flights and back to her car to get it and runs back*
"Hi"- weeze- "Here it is, do you have any 1099-INT forms"
"Thank you. We're out of those forms and will not be ordering any more"
"You- what? Then why?"
Properly follow proper protocol.
2) My co-worker is conspiring against me. But she will not win this.
3) No one will come with me to Partner/Acroyoga on Thursdays. It's like Circus Soleil and awesome. Just think of all the party tricks I'm learning. Who doesn't want to do this?
Awesome right? See you Thursday.

Now you know. And won't be surprised in the future.
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment