Monday, April 15, 2013

My Sister the Villain, the Ragamuffin

Now I have always loved going to plays. I was a theater critic in high school. But Shakespeare was never really my jam. I enjoyed Shakespeare yes, but I'd have much rather have seen an Oscar Wilde than a Shakespearean comedy.

This changed about 4 years about when my sister began her journey to become, in my opinion, one of the most fantastic Shakespearean actress ever.

Hyperbole, you say? 
I promise you, nay.

Last night my family and I laughed so hard our stomachs hurt as we watched my sister play not only a brilliant Don John in "Much Ado About Nothing," but changed all our minds about how we felt about the character Dogberry. Essentially he went from my least favorite character to my most favorite, and the most difficult question at the end of the night was which one of Marianne's characters did we like better?

Utilizing her crutches like a boss... Don John

Dogberry, chosen for the Prince's Watch,
apprehending the two auspicious persons

Let it be recorded I am an ass... and as pretty a piece of flesh as any in Messina

After the show!





Other roles:
Dromio in Comedy of Errors




Viola in Twelfth Night

And countless others including...

Midsummer's Night
Oliver
Annie Get Your Gun

Shakespeare Summer Camp: Where they do all the plays


Not to mention...

The Bard Himself.

Just kidding, this was Halloween. But how many cool high schoolers dress up like the Bard or Lady Mac for Halloween? Isn't she just the coolest person you ever did read about?

1 comment: